Actions toward general public

  • Advice and technical support to inhabitants (Energy Information Centre)
The Energy Information Centre can be consulted for technical and financial advice about the energy aspects of their renovation or construction project, regarding insulation, energy control, heating, renewable energies etc.
The inhabitants can make requests by phone; email; or meet the advisors once a month in each of the 7 town halls that make up the territory and once a week in the Agency's premises.
  • Assistance for joint ownership properties involved in major renovation projects
The Agency gives long-term advice to joint ownership properties involved in a global renovation project on a whole building.
This advice includes the identification of the priorities in terms of energy savings (through an energy audit for example) and the follow-up of energy consumption after the renovation works are done.